How it effects your booking
Update November 20th 2020
Please note that we are legally required to collect the names and contact details for each guest that stays with us. We also require your confirmation that you are in compliance with any travel restrictions and group-composition restrictions that are in place at the time of your stay. These are governed by the Scottish and the UK Governments.
Click here for the latest advice from the Scottish Government on
what to expect as a customer of tourism and leisure in Scotland
Change to Terms & Conditions of stay
The Coronavirus remains an ongoing global threat to the lives of everyone. We continue to consider the implications for our guests and we have changed our Terms and Conditions of your stay as a result.
We would like to outline these here, noting they are now part of the Terms and Conditions you accept when you pay a deposit to stay with us:
- We are currently experiencing an ongoing Covid-19 pandemic in Scotland. As is the nature of a virus you may contract it whilst you travel to us or while you stay with us.
- We comply with the Covid-Secure requirements as laid out by the UK Government and our property will be sanitised for your arrival.
- We are required to collect the names and contact details of all guests staying with us. This is to comply with the Covid Tracing Guidelines that are in place. Please leave details using this form.
- Being an isolated island, we are unable to offer any PPE. You should take any PPE you judge is required including face coverings, hand sanitiser gel and any other PPE you feel is appropriate. Supplies of these should be considered unavailable on the Isle of Lewis.
- If you, or anyone in your party, are unfortunate enough to contract Coronavirus whilst you are staying with us it is likely the Scottish Government will require that you, and your whole party, remain in quarantine in our property until you test negative or up to a 14-day period if you test positive or remain untested. If you experience symptoms you should immediately request a Covid-19 test and follow the Test & Protect regime put in place by the Scottish Government.
- If you are required to quarantine, or stay in our property due to Government direction whilst testing is being undertaken or for the 14 day quarantine period WE WILL REQUIRE EACH ADDITIONAL NIGHTS ACCOMMODATION, FOR QUARANTINE OR OTHERWISE, TO BE PAID FOR AT A REDUCED RATE OF £180 PER NIGHT until you, and your party, vacate the property. This should be a core part of your decision making when deciding to stay with us.
- It is highly likely, given the nature of the virus, that the Scottish Government will enforce a local lockdown which will require you to stay in our property for its duration as transport back to the mainland will likely be suspended. In this eventuality WE WILL REQUIRE EACH ADDITIONAL NIGHTS ACCOMMODATION, DURING THE LOCAL LOCKDOWN, TO BE PAID FOR AT A REDUCED RATE OF £75 PER NIGHT until you, and your party, are permitted to vacate the property. This should be a core part of your decision making when deciding to stay with us.
- WE CANNOT STRONGLY EMPHASISE ENOUGH THAT YOU SHOULD ACQUIRE TRAVEL INSURANCE TO PROTECT YOU AGAINST THIS SCENARIO AND SO THAT YOU ARE COVERED FOR ANY ADDITIONAL AND ASSOCIATED CHARGES YOU MAY INCUR SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, AMENDED TRAVEL COSTS, ADDITIONAL GROCERY COSTS, HOSPITALISATION REQUIREMENTS and so forth.
We really hope you understand and appreciate these requirements and we really do want to you to enjoy a stay with us but appreciate how complicated these decisions have now become.
Coronavirus Advice for our Area
The Scottish Government is managing a list of countries currently exempt from the standard period of 14 day quarantine. Please check the link below and if your country is not on this list you will have to quarantine for 14 days before coming to our property. Please note that we do not allow arrival quarantine periods to be served in our property.
Movement Around Scotland
It is important that you comply with the rules about the types of groups that can travel together at the time you are travelling. You may be limited to travelling with specific people in specific “bubbles” as defined by the Scottish Government. Please check at the Scottish Government website for the latest information and ensure you comply before booking.
Please also be aware that local areas may become subject to “local travel lockdowns” depending on which Tier each area is in. If you are required to stay in our property as a result of a local lockdown we will require extra payments subject to the revised Terms and Conditions of Stay at the rate of £75 per night for each extra night.
It is highly likely that social distancing will be an ongoing requirement for all transport in Scotland. This includes transportation to, and from, the island. Many services will be limited to around 20% of capacity. To be certain that you can travel to the island it is essential that you have a confirmed booking on any service in both directions. It is unlikely that you will be able to turn up and travel, especially by sea. You should check even if you have prior bookings as these may have changed.
You can find contact details for the main providers at these links:
In the house
We have worked hard to ensure that the house is Covid Secure. That means every surface we can reach has been disinfected and the bathrooms have been fully bleached.
We have placed an information poster in the property regarding protecting yourself from Covid-19 and what to do in the event that you experience symptoms. We would also encourage you to come back to this site for key links in the “If you develop symptoms” section below.
The house will also contain a hand sanitising gel which you should use when you are in a rush and do not have time to wash your hands.
For key links and numbers please see the “If you develop symptoms” section.
Many tourist sites will be open with social distancing and protective face-mask requirements in place. On the Isle of Lewis and Harris many of our attractions are open air and you can go at any time. These include the Calanais Stones, Luskentyre Beach, Rodel Church, Butt of Ness Lighthouse and many more.
Please ensure you have plenty PPE to allow you to go inside any of our tourism locations.
To check out what is open and what isn’t you can check out the following links:
Shops, restaurants and bars
Unfortunately many shops, restaurants and bars have succumb to the effects of a lockdown and either will not be opening in 2020 or are now permanently closed. Those that are open will likely be open with strict PPE and social distancing requirements. Please ensure you have plenty PPE to allow you to go inside any of our leisure venues.
There will be social distancing in place and for restaurants reservations will probably be compulsory. You may have to queue to enter bars and shops but queues are likely to be short.
The two main grocery stores are Tesco (in Stornoway) and Coop (one in central Stornoway and one on the outskirts). You may have to queue to enter but the lines should not be too long. You should consider this when deciding how to plan your meals for your time here and think of the weather if you are going to have to queue outside! Some supplies can be purchased from the petrol station 2 miles from our home. Generally there is no queue here.
You can find out more at visitbru.com
If you develop symptoms
If you develop symptoms it is vitally important that you immediately request a test and contact the Test & Protect service in Scotland. Failure to do this may result in action.
If you have symptoms you should NOT leave the property. No one in your group should leave the property. You should contact nhsinform.scot Test & Protect programme for advice.
In an emergency you can dial 999 or 111 but do not use these numbers for Covid-19 enquiries or concerns.
Guest Detail Collection
As part of the Scottish Government’s Test & Protect scheme we are required to gather the names and contact details for all those who stay with us. We also have to retain those details for a four week period after your departure. This is required in case we are alerted that you were in contact with a Covid-19 carrier and need to isolate.
All of this is done in a GDPR compliant way and we will destroy this data after the retention period ends.